Saturday, March 24, 2012

Money and Bills

Last night while check the mail, I had a disconnect notice for my gas bill.  Uggggg. 

                                                                 Photo Source

I have to admit I have a major issue paying my utility bills.  It isn't that I don't have the money for them, it is just that I put them aside and completely forget about them.  I pay every other bill on time and don't have issues.  I religiously pay my tithing, mortgage, car insurance, medical payment (due quarterly), and everything else that comes up.  Don't ask me why it is so dang hard for me to pay the utility bills. 

Last night I realized that I really need to get my act together and work on improving my payment history on my utilities.  I am paying all these late fees and it is pathetic.  I also really need to work on getting a budget together like I posted in my last post. 

I need to designate an area for incoming bills.  I really need to get better organized in life.

So last night I got my butt in order, well sort of... 
  • I paid my electric bill as well as the gas bill (I think they were both about 3 months worth). 
  • During the week I paid the trash bill. 
  • I also purchased the money order for the medical bill last night.  I already have a stamp on the envelope.  I just have to force myself to take it to the post office to send off.  I HAVE to do this. 
  • I also put my tithing payment in the envelope, filled the slip out and have it all sealed and ready to go.  I just have to pay it on Sunday.
  • Today I have to pay the water bill which is for about 3 months.  (I know I am a total slacker.  Please don't stone me.) 
After reviewing everything last night I realized that I really need to implement a budget or method of paying my bills.  I felt all accomplished after paying them last night.  Why is this all so hard for me?  I could understand if I didn't have the money to pay them and was struggling and unable to do this or that.  However, that is not the case. 

I have heard of the Dave Ramsey envelope system, but I don't think that system would work for me.  It sounds way too complicating.  Too many envelopes and keeping track.  Excel spreadsheets- I don't have Excel so I would have to download it. 

I think the first step I need to do is start tracking my spending.  I mean REALLY writing down every single penny I spend on anything.  Even if I give a bum 50 cents.  I think I will better understand where my money is going and where I need to designate money to.  I am sure it will give me a better understanding of what I need to do.

I am extremely frugal and smart when it comes to spending, but if I don't know where I am currently spending, I can't better plan.  What do you use as your budget?  Are you horrible when it comes to utility bills or is it just me?

1 comment:

  1. I will not stone you. We all make mistakes. But I saw your comment on my blog and I am definitely going to blog a post on how to make a budget! :)

    ReplyDelete