Thursday, March 6, 2014

In Simple Things, Let There Be Joy and Contentment

What kind of person are you?  No, this is not a trick question.  I am seriously asking a simple question.  Okay, so maybe it isn't that simple.  There could be so many different answers to a "simple" question like that right? 


Are you a simple person? 


Or are you complex?


Do you have to have "things" to make you happy?  Or are you easily content with simple things? 


I was thinking about that today.  I think it is so funny how society thrives on the things they are able to buy and have.  Yes, we all can get caught up in that kind of thinking.  It isn't that hard. 


Lately, it keeps coming to my mind how I am easily joyed by the little things. 


This morning I was in soooo much pain after a chiropractor appointment last night.  I am talking, couldn't even get out of bed kind of pain.  It hurt to move anything.  I started tearing up.  I was feeling miserable.  Do I get ready for work?  Do I call in? 


I was just feeling so crappy and then decided I should get ready.  However, it dawned on me that it was school picture day and I should better focus on making my kids look nice.  I had them hurry and get dressed while I did their hair and made sure they looked nice. 


I looked at both of them and realized they were both looking so dang nice! 


Funniest part? Both were dressed in thrift store clothing and looking great!  They chose the outfits themselves. 

 
It got me thinking how simple things for us bring joy. We are more than happy and content with thrift store clothing. In fact, we prefer them. Cheaper, name brand, and better. 

We are happy cooking at home and eating. We 
are content eating the foods we can find on sale. Eating out isn't what makes us happy. I mean granted, yes the occasion of eating out is nice and fun. 

But I see too often families with kids who are ungrateful with foods their parents make, resulting in fits over going out to eat. They whine. They cry. They refuse to eat. 

Parents give in and take them where they want all the time. 

However, for us we are happy and content eating at home. 

It really is the little things. 


No comments:

Post a Comment