Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Canning

Canning!  The name sounds so old fashioned and weird, I think.  But I feel so accomplished.  I canned this weekend.  My grandma called me Sunday night and asked if I would mind coming and helping her.  I spent 5 1/2 hours canning.  I hadn't done it since I was about 12 years old.  I actually enjoyed it.  Yes, it is time consuming, but very worth it.  We canned peaches.  She received about 6 boxes of peaches from her cousin in Utah.  For all my hard work, I was rewarded a few bottles for myself.  I am definitely looking forward to enjoying them when that time comes around. 

Monday we gathered 'round Grandma's table to work on more, with my cousin and aunt present.  My grandma had to leave unexpectedly due to a family member being in the hospital and the chance of not making it...  :(  My aunt, cousin and I stayed and did one batch for my grandma.  It was fun.  I hadn't had a good conversation with them for such a long time. 

Tonight I plan on offering to help again to can up some more, since we only got 2 1/2 boxes finished.  I wish I had somewhere to buy great tasting, fresh peaches around me so I could start doing this for myself.  I honestly enjoyed it.  It was kind of relaxing, though full of hard work.  It was a great way to bond with my grandma and catch up on life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment