Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Change

Recently a dear friend of mine had a major health scare.  He is older and obese.  He is a sweet guy and I couldn't help but be scared when I heard that he was in the hospital.  The first news we heard was that he had bronchitis.  I have had bronchitis before and I knew how that felt.  However, I never had to stay in the hospital.  A couple days later it was bronchial pnemonia.  Upon further investigation by the doctors on staff, it was discovered that he had had an extremely serious heart attack.  He had actually been at work and had this heart attack on the jobsite.  The saddest thing is that he didn't even know he had it.  With being so unhealthy and smoking like a chimney, he just went on his way.  Imagine if you will going three whole weeks without knowing anything was wrong. 

When in the hospital and finding this information out, it was soon planned that he would have  surgery to assist this.  However, upon the operating table, it was discovered that it was more serious than they could have ever imagined.  They couldn't continue with the surgery.  When he woke up, doctors informed him that they couldn't do anything for his heart.  He would have to have a heart transplate.  I couldn't imagine being told that from a doctor.  It broke my heart when he and his wife told me.  It took everything I had not to immediately cry on the phone.  Now he has to wait to be put on the list after approval from the doctors after numerous tests are conducted.  They had to transport him to another state for these tests.  It is just a matter of time.  When talking to him, I have to admit that it didn't sound as if he had much hope.

This entire situation brought me to think of my life.  I am not ready to go.  I have so much to do before I die.  Life is a gift.  For the past couple years though, I have been stuck in a little hurdle and just been going through the motions of life.  Not out of depression, but out of just not having  much hope.  Shaking myself out of the mundane habits I have been living for this long is my current road block.

My birthday is fast approaching.  As I look around me in my current life, I want a lot of change in my upcoming years.  I really want to get healthy, travel more, enjoy life and not let my finances dictate my opportunities.  I want to become happier, satisfied, and more caring.  I want to be a better person.  I want to be more accepting of people and things in my life.  That might sound kind of broad to some of you, but I know what I mean by that. 

Hold the ones tight that are dear to you.  Don't forget to let them know how much you love them.  You never know what can happen.  Each day is an extra blessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment