Sunday, August 1, 2010

Clothing

The new school year is just around the corner.  And as many parents know, that means the annual back to school shopping frenzy begins.  That means it is time for new shoes, shirts, pants, shorts, socks, underwear, backpack, and the like.  I tend to like shopping at thrift stores for clothing because children grow out of clothing so fast, that there is still so much life left in them.  Lately though, from my experience, I have noticed that there isn't a great selection in good condition at the thrift stores I have been going to. 

Let's face it, many American's are starting to cut back in the shopping, and instead they are saving money.  As an affect, not as many donations are sent to thrift stores, because they aren't buying as many clothes and they keep the clothing til they are outgrown. 

I was talking to my friend, who is also a single mom, and she was telling me how she had just gone through her girls' outgrown clothing and had a huge bag ready to donate to the thrift store.  She told me that I should just come over and go through them.  She also told me she had a pair of church shoes for my son.  I happily came over and left with a huge bag of clothes.  That will definitely help out with back to school shopping.  My daughter doesn't need that much now. 

I absolutely LOVE having such great friends.  They happily give their outgrown clothing and items no longer needed, and I happily take them off their hands, but  as long as I know only we will use them.  In turn, when my kids grow out of their clothing, I pass them along to friends who want them or else I donate them to thrift stores.  And with how fast kids grow, there is still soooooo much life left to the clothes. 

Yesterday I received four bags of clothing that my friend's son just outgrew, and it came at the perfect time, as my son just grew out of another size of clothing.  As funny as it might sound, I feel like a little kid at Christmas.  :)  I was so happy to see some church clothes for him. 

I will admit that I have seen many people throwing clothes that their children outgrew into the TRASH!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!  I can't stand when people are so wasteful.  If you are one of such people, try passing it along to friends who have children a little younger than yours or donating them.  It keeps less trash in landfills and definitely helps out friends in return.  And if you haven't put your kids in hand-me-downs before and a friend offers clothing to you, don't be afraid.  Just wash them and happily put your kids in them.  As you know, kids grow out of clothes so fast. 

No comments:

Post a Comment