Thursday, October 28, 2010

Shopping

I was watching Confessions of  a Shopaholic the other day, and I just love that movie.  Don't ask me why, but it is such a funny movie.  But it got me to thinking about our shopping habits.  I clearly am not a shopaholic.  Yes, I love to grab a good buy at a steal, but I don't use a credit card to do so, and I know I have boundaries.  Intead of just spending everything I have and having a roommate who rips up my rent check... not just once but twice, yes (2) times, I spend wisely and know where my money is going.  Some people have no remorse for living beyond their means, and that is their personal choice. 

How in the world she justified spending so much on a green scarf, I have no clue.  It was funny at the scene where the manican is talking to her and tells her to use some old jeans, that is what her mother would do.  I am so that mother.  I can't justify spending so much on stuff that I don't see as a smart and productive buy.  Maybe that is the reason why I have been so wishy washy about the item my daughter wants so badly for Christmas.  I just think it isn't a wise buy.  I think that she could get something cooler for a better buy, but I need to realize that this is what she REALLY wants.  Now if it was my last $20 would I buy it... I doubt it.  But if this is what she really wants from Santa, I need to let her have that magic. 

"When I was a little girl, there were real prices and mom prices.  Real prices got you *shiny, sparkly things* that lasted three weeks, and mom prices got you brown things...... that lasted *forever* ."  I was thinking about this very quote from the movie, and it reminded me of myself.  No, I am not going to buy her any little thing on the whim of her asking for it.  I am, however, going to participate in this one piece of magic while she still believes in Santa.  Who am I to ruin this for her? 

No comments:

Post a Comment