Monday, September 20, 2010

A Furnished Home Part 1

Just yesterday I was walking around my house and realized something that I hadn't realized before.  My entire home is furnished exclusively from hand-me-downs and gifts with the exception of my bed.  It might sound funny, but it is true. 

Walk in our door and you will immediately see the living room.  Our living room has 2 recliners, 1 couch, 2 bookcases, and a tv stand with a tv.  The couch is very worn down, but it still does its function.  I received it from an old family friend who I was renting an apartment from.  It had been used for years, and they decided to redo their furniture in the house.  I don't plan on purchasing a new one until the kids are older and grown out of that "draw on things with markers and crayons" stage.  It is still just fine for now.  The 2 recliners were given by a different friend whose aunt was getting rid of them since she had bought new furniture.  I happily borrowed my dad's truck and drove out there to pick them up.  They are in good condition and perfectly fine.  The bookcases were given to me when I moved into my first apartment.  My friend wanted to buy me something I would use and decided to buy me two bookshelves.  They are great and definitely full of books, magazines, dvds, etc.  I don't plan on getting rid of them any time soon.  The tv stand was also given to me by the friend who gave me the recliner.  I had been looking for a tv stand and she just so happened to have one in her garage that she was looking to get rid of.  Score for Sassy!  ;)  Our tv came from my parents' house.  My dad had put a magnet on top of it while working out and he said the color somehow managed to get all screwed up.  At first it proceeded to look a little funny.  The coloring is all fine now.  It is perfectly fine. 

Step into my scrapbook nook, and you will find my desk, armoire for scrapbook supplies, and my chair.  The desk was given to me by my childrens' grandpa.  He had ordered one for his office at home.  Somehow he was delivered two of them and only charged for the one.  I believe he said he called to return the other, but in the end it was given to me.  It was brand new.  I was so excited.  The armoire was my ex's (baby's daddy ) that he had had when he lived at home with his parents.  His parents were moving and in the process of getting rid of things.  I mentioned that if they were planning on getting rid of the armoires (there were 2 of them), let me know.  Lo and behold, they delivered one to my house.  I immediately filled it with all my wonderous scrapbook supplies.  The chair had been given to me by another ex bf.  He was moving out of his place and in the transitional stage.  He was getting rid of all kinds of things, and I told him I wanted the chair since he had it set aside to get rid of, stating that he just didn't need it anymore.  He brought it right over (we were living in the condo at that time). 

Step into the kitchen directly from the scrapbook nook, and you'll see my great, big kitchen table.  It is such a great size and able to fit many people around it.  I bought it, along with 6 chairs from my parents.  They had purchased a different table and were replacing this one.  I believe I paid $225.00.   It originally had been purchased for $600, just for the table.  The chairs were another $30 each, if I remember correctly.  When dirving around, I spotted a yard sale with another 4 chairs.  I decided to purchase them for when more people were over.  Each chair was only $5!  This was definitely worth the purchase and has already been enjoyed by many.

To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment