Monday, August 9, 2010

Product of the Convenience Food Generation

I am the product of the Convenience Food Generation.  Growing up in our household, we ate plenty of Mac N Cheese, Ramen, Canned Spaghetti O's, Raviolis, chips, hot dogs, microwavable burritos, frozen pizzas, and there are so many to name.  Truth be told, not much has changed.  I still eat tons of these convenience foods and more.  I need to work on cooking more instead of resorting to easy conveniences.  I am a convenience food addict I guess. 

We were in the car driving home when my daughter informed  me that she really wanted to go to Walmart and buy french toast sticks.  I had a long day at work today and didn't want to go to the store.  I told her that we could go Saturday morning and buy them since that is when I can cash my check.  (I get paid Friday but my credit union is closed at 5, and there is no way in the world I ever get there before then because I don't get off til 4:30.  And if you haven't battled traffic in Vegas on a Friday during rush hour... wow, you sure are missing out  *grin.)  My daughter kept pleading and pleading.  I told her I would give her $5 to go grocery shopping Saturday morning for the french toast sticks.  I told my son that I would give him $5 to do the same.  I explained that one box of sticks costs $2.50 and you can buy 2 with the $5 so we started adding and came to the number 4 (numbers of boxes they could buy with $10.  I will be honest here and tell you the reason why I agreed to let them each have that money to help with the family grocery shopping.  a) To teach them the value of money and what you can buy at the grocery store  
b) I am the only one who ever does the grocery shopping and it would be a good adventure for them.  Plus if they chose something then that is what they chose and it would be fun no matter what. 

They were so excited, but Bug proceeded to tell me how bad she wanted them right then.  She is definitely my daughter  :)  I stood my grounds and told her how she could have them on Saturday morning.  We were almost home, and I thought about those yummy french toast sticks.  I thought long and hard and realized that we had all the ingredients to make them.  I told her that we could make them, and she looked at me like I had lost my freaking mind.  It took a while to convince her that I knew what I was doing, but the end result was much more convincing!  After enjoying these yummy, delicious french toast sticks my daughter informed me that we wouldn't need to buy them after all on Saturday.  And she said, "Mom you must know how to make everything.  You're such a good Mom."  Awwwwww how sweet of her.  I must have done a good job at making them.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment